Friday, April 22, 2011

Follow up: Natural Beauty Products!

Hey fans,
Just wanted to give you a follow up and give you an inside scoop of what I've been experimenting with lately: with my quest for an all natural beauty routine.
       If you read my last blog entry, you know that I was most concerned with hair care products, so that's  what I tackled first. I was previously using Kevin Murphy products - which are not terrible on the chemical scale, but they do have sulfates and I wanted to try to avoid those. I'm probably going to save my Kevin Murphy Luxury Conditioner for special occasions. What I did add though is John Masters Organics Zinc & Sage Shampoo and the Citrus & Neroli Conditioner, plus the Sea Mist spray for some added texture and to enhance the waves in my hair.
        What's been different: The shampoo did take some adjustment. It doesn't have sulfates so it doesn't lather. So I just add a little water and smooth it over my hair instead of piling my hair on top of my head and working that lather through like I used to. I use the conditioner pretty much the same way- just smooth it down to the ends, make sure its coated well, and let it sit while I shave my legs. I'm finding that I'm able to get my hair just as clean- it may not feel quite as soft and fluffy like it once did but that's ok with me because it also doesn't feel like it gets dirty as often and I'm actually washing my hair less. (which is better for your hair)
          Deodorants: This has been tricky because I'm just as stinky and sweaty as the next gal. My favorite deodorant (and the one that works the best for me) has been La Vanilla Healthy Deodorant in vanilla grapefruit. It has the white color and moisturizing texture that I used to like from my Dove deodorant. Some of the other brands like Tom's of Maine, work okay but they more of a sticky texture that I don't seem to like as much. One type from Weleda actually comes in a spray (it looks like a Toner bottle) and it's not bad either but requires frequent re-application. I'm not through researching this category for sure!
           Nails:  This is a category that might not mean much to you if you don't wear nail polish, but I have gotten quite attached to painting my nails in all kinds of different colors. Especially this spring, because very bright and cheery colors are being released from all major brands. What I discovered though is that some major nail companies are getting with the program reformulating their products without Formaldehyde with is fantastic! OPI has deleted 2 out of the 3 yucky chemicals and Spa Ritual (which I love) doesn't have any of the 3 chemicals. (Formaldehyde, Toulene, and DBP) Zoya is another completely chem free nail brand and there's another newer one called RGB- this company has gorgeous, fashionable colors that are miles away from your basic baby pinks and reds. I bought one called "Deep", a sultry deep merlot red, and I plan to go back and get the "Sea" which was sold out- it was an amazing shimmery, deep emerald green.
          Make up: I've been trying many different all natural make up lines and there's definitely some highs and lows. Here's what I've been using on a daily basis: After my skin care routine and applying moisturizer I put on the new Eminence tinted moisturizer in Caramel. (spf 25) I blend it thoroughly. Then I put on my Eminence sun defense powder in Peaches & Cream (spf 30). I spritz one of my Eminence toners to set the powder and make it water (read: sweat) resistant. I discovered W3LL People make up and it is really fun. The multi-stick cream foundation + concealer "Narcissist" is cool- just dab it on with your fingers: just where you need it -on the redness and blemishes and blend well. Voila! You have even skin and look polished. I also got a multi-stick blush "Universalist" that you can even put on lips and eyes too. Its trickier to master but really pretty. I got a loose powder eye shadow, Elitist: a light gold with some twinkle, and the Nudist lip gloss/stick. I use Glo Minerals Papaya Glo Blush when I want more color on my cheeks. So far I have 2 eye shadow palattes from Mineral Fusion (in Stunning and Symmetry) which I sort of like. The colors are nice but I wish they had a softer texture. I'm using Josie Maran's Volume Argan Mascara and it's not bad. It works well but tends to run if I get sweaty or have a cry. I also am really loving the new Eminence Illuminating powder blush in Chai Berry. Its nice on the upper cheek bones. Then I may or may not set everything with my Mineral Fusion Setting Powder.
So that's it! You too can look beautiful without using suspicious chemicals in your beauty routine. Remember: you don't have to change everything at once- just one at a time will be easier to handle and eventually you'll be chemical free!

No comments:

Post a Comment